Tag Archives: 1960 aloha trailer

Maps!

Well, I’m not 100% satisfied with it, but its almost done! I might go back and layer some more maps over the top, add little interesting things on… but the basics are finished! It looks like wallpaper to me which is fun, and I love the colors!

Just a tip: you dont need to buy expensive modge podge for this. Simple “school glue” or “elmers” which you can usually find for around .50c a bottle on sale, mixed 50/50 with water: decoupage medium! I swear it works just as well, it takes a bit longer to dry but its much more forgiving and has a nice sheen without being shiny. I just did a nice layer on the wood, layed down my maps being careful not to get air bubbles (but I did let it wrinkle which I kinda love!) and then do a nice thin coat over the top to seal it.

I got the maps at a local map/school supply store for $4.00 each, I used 4 total for a total project cost of under $20.

Three bottles of glue: $1.50, maps $16.00, paintbrush $1.00

Tagged , , , , , , , , , ,

The tear out

So here she is, currently. So far we have ripped out all interiors except the cabinets above the former dining area. They were fine and there was no water damage inside or around them.

We have ripped down the roof panels, and replaced or doubled up every roof support beam/stud. We’ve used quite a few tubes of liquid nails shoring up the plywood that the beams attach to, as they are quite old and some were starting to crumble a bit. The beams are now very sturdy. Thats your side to side support, very important! The roof does not sit on those beams. Next task is to run our new wiring (as the old wiring was all either removed or quite deteriorated) and re-insulate. The insulation was fiberglass, we are going to replace it with Aluminum Bubble Foil Roll insulation. It’s relatively inexpensive, wont retain water if there is a leak, and provides great insulation. Once the new wiring is pulled and insulation put in, we will resheet the roof with lightweight masonite panels.

Meanwhile (as this is weekend work and it will be 4 days before we start again) I have been stripping the layers of wallpaper, removing old nails (dremel with a grinding wheel is good for this) and doing some space planning work.

 

 

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

Putting her Makeup On, aka PAINT

Well. First off lets just get this out of the way: I rattlecanned the bitch. I spray painted her. Some of you might be shaking your heads, other gasped, and others said “well duh.” Let me explain what we will be using this trailer for: getting out of the rain, and cold. Thats it! We go some gnarly places for camping. Bumpy rocky muddy dirty roads, we drive out into the middle of the BLM. We tow and rocks are tossed. No paint job is going to stay lovely forever, and I wasnt in the mood to pay for it. I studied my options, and rattlecanning it sounded best to me. I’ve got some pretty great control with a can, and I did a pretty damn good job if I say so myself! This might not be the option for everyone, but for me it was an inexpensive, easy, and practical paint solution. Once I get the blue on, I’ll clean up all the lines, and the edges of my “bolt” will be silver.

Step one: sanding. I sanded her top to bottom, first with a wire brush on all the spots that had loose paint chipping off. Second with my mouse sander and a medium grit sandpaper. Third with a very fine grit sandpaper, both with the mouse sander and by hand, to smooth the surface.

Step two: Gave her a bath. I used a wash that is a degreaser. I scrubbed with a bristled brush, rinsed, scrubbed again with a cloth, and rinsed again.  When she was fully dry I moved onto step three

Step three: Primer. An outdoor primer, suitable for use on metal. Ask at your local paint shop what they recommend. This particular primer I simply rolled on!

Step four: Taped off my stripes using frog tape. Its more expensive but it did a damn good job! I also taped all my windows to avoid the paint spraying on anything I didnt want it on, even with good control spray paint will always throw some paint particles.

My yellow stripes are done. They are very bright, happy, and lovely! I am quite proud of it. Above the yellow will be aqua, below is a crisp white. I will finish it all off with aluminum tape, after its finished.

Isnt this cool, the previous owner ordered a replacement sticker from Aloha! WOOOOHOOO! Cant wait to put it back in its place of honor.

Tagged , , , , ,